Friday, April 22, 2022

Turning red review (I hated it)

 


I'm kind of glad no one reads my blogger. I have some strong opinions it seems.

So I did watch Turning red when I was tired. I kind of wanted to go to sleep, but my partner wanted to watch it. Probably skewered my view a bit. I looked forward to the show a lot as well. It seemed colorful, funny, casual sort of cartoon with a bit of life experience theme that I don't mind in it.

It also revolved close to my teenage years, being set in 2002 and although I was never a fan of boy bands, I understood it and I went through my own fair amount of 'cringe' stuff myself. 

For the most part I liked the movie. I only really hated the end. Everything else was great. It depicted the conflicts, teenage troubles, meeting expectations or teenage obsession and friendship that were presented very well with a good amount of humor mixed to it.

After the movie, I understood that even though I'm Asian and this was a teenage movie depicting a similar time period, the movie was not for me. I'm an adult, went through a fair bit of counselling myself, had my own problems and over came them the traditional (?) way, following stock standard advice like talking about it, meditation, and writing things down etc. I'm basically just closed minded and old fashioned probably in that sense, and I was looking forward to some resolution where the mom and Mei come to understand each other. But this... The ending was just "Hey look a big event happened, and for some reason, the mom let's Mei do whatever now and she's alright with it."

There were behaviors Mei had that were completely inappropriate. (I'm not saying the mom did anything right herself, she was also a control freak that needed some consequences) Mei just completely got off the hook for everything and the mom just gave in to everything now. She literally sold herself off as entertainment, for some kids to 'ride' on. I can't even imagine what if more stronger issues arises later in Mei's life like teen sex or pregnancy, depression and self harm, drugs comes out. Mei almost killed a kid once when she was a panda, so who says she can't again? The kid's just gonna go, "My panda, my choice, Mom." and the mom just laughs it off and lets her be? 

Anyway, I can't be bothered writing anymore about this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment